History of St Medan Golf Course

HH Walker - St Medan Golf Club's First Captain
H H Walker – St Medan Golf Club’s First Captain

The Right Honorable Sir Herbert Maxwell, Honorary President of St Medan Golf Club 1905
Rt Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell

Ladies at St Medan Golf Club 1912
Ladies at St Medan Golf Club 1912

James Braid visits St Medan Golf Club in 1931
James Braid (on the right) visits St Medan Golf Club in 1931.

St Medan Ladies - winners of the Mactier Trophy 1975
St Medan Ladies – winners of the Mactier Trophy 1975

Wigtownshire Junior Champion 1986
Jim Grundy, Wigtownshire Junior Champion 1986, with Jim Wallace winner of the title in 1956

In the early 1900s, J H Thompson, a banker and scratch golfer, arrived in Port William from Glasgow. In off-duty times, he cycled to Glenluce to play 18 holes at the County Golf Club. As he and some other gentlemen were keen to establish a Port William Golf Course, a meeting was called on 7th November 1904 under the chairmanship of H H Walker. A subcomittee was formed to find suitable ground for a course.
Two sites were considered – the racecourse in Monreith Estate Grounds or Kirkmaiden. The latter was deemed most suitable and the subcomittee was empowered with laying out a 9 hole course.

The land was rented for £2 a year. The cost of laying out the course came to just under £90, the clubhouse was built for the sum of £71 and a stable was built at a cost of £21!
A greenkeeper was appointed at £12 per annum.

The golf course was formally opened in October 1905 by the Honorary President, Rt. Hon Sir Herbert Maxwell, Bart., MP. He commented on the growing popularity of golf: “A few years ago, golf was entirely confined to Scotland and now it is hardly possible to find an English common where golfers are not visible.
In the same year 58 other golf clubs opened in the UK.

The St Medan Clubhouse extension in 1909

The clubhouse was extended in 1909 (above), at the same time as the formation of the Ladies Section at the club.

Unfortunately this building burned down in 1920 and had to be rebuilt. The new clubhouse was subsequently extended in 1980 and reroofed for a third time in 1989. Throughout it’s history, to pay for the maintenance of the building and land, the club has held many fundraising events and been well supported by a very loyal membership.

The course itself, finally bought from the Maxwell family in 1970, has undergone regular alteration and upgrading, with the addition of the 9 new tees in 2003 to provide for play as an 18 hole course.

The club holds annual competitions for a number of Trophies, over 50, which have been presented over the years by members, visitors and supporters from far and wide (one being from a golf club in Australia).

Cententary celebrations in 2005

In 2005, St Medan Golf Club celebrated it’s Centenary with a commemorative stone and a booklet outlining the Club’s long and eventful history.